Squash itself is so good when it is roasted until caramelized and tender. Stuffed, it is even better! In this dish we used a medley of squash, ground turkey, and added some southwestern spice. The squash is fully edible (yes...even the skin) Ditch the meat and you have an amazing vegetarian dish. If you don't eat cheese try topping it with nutritional yeast.
Preheat oven to 450°
- Combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and chili flakes* in a small bowl. Set aside 2 tablespoons for seasoning the meat
- Slice the squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds
- Brush both sides of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle a some of the southwest seasoning and salt on the cut side
- Place cut sides down on prepared pan for roasting
- Cut up 2 zucchinis (2 cups - cubed)
- Cut up 2 yellow squash (2 cups - cubed)
- Dice 2 medium onions
- Combine the zucchini, yellow squash and onions in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and the southwestern seasoning. Spread mixture out on a pan
- Place the pan with the squash halves and the pan with the mixture in the oven and roast in oven at 450° for 20 min
- While Squash is roasting,.. brown the ground turkey in a large skillet. Add the 2 tablespoons set aside of the southwestern seasoning and 3-4 minced garlic cloves and cook meat through.
- When oven is done, mix the squash and zucchini mixture with the ground turkey
- Fill the squash halves with the mixture and sprinkle with shredded cheese
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.